Saturday, August 6, 2011

Wasatch Crest to Mill Creek Canyon

SLC Mountain Bike Meetup


On with the adventure! High on my list of rides I have always wanted to do was Wasatch Crest. Lucky for me while we were camping at Pineview the Salt Lake City Mountain Bike Meetup group had plans to ride from Wasatch Crest to Mill Creek Canyon on Saturday. This is a 13 mile ride starting at Guardsman Pass. From the pass you climb up the infamous Puke Hill or in my case hiked my bike completely out of breath BECAUSE the altitude was kicking my arse!



You know I live at 2,800 ft and the top of Guardsman is 9,900 ft. Plenty of glorious oxygen up there to be had but I simply can’t use it. Yep that is why I hiked, that is what I am blaming it on. Give me a few more weeks and I would rocket up Puke Hill like the rest of the world was standing still. What you don't believe me??


Lucky for me the rest of the group needed a rest as well by the time we reached the top.



Amazing views! To my surprise there was even a little snow left from winter.












From here we followed the trail which runs along the ridge between Big Cottonwood Canyon and Park City.

Desolation Lake



Just above Desolation lake is a rocky little feature called The Spine. Let just say you better know how to handle a bike if you start this one because once you commit you better not quit! I watched several riders pick their line only to be defeated. Leaving little bits of themselves crusted on the rocks to commemorate their passing. It is brutal.

The Spine

However, Marty from our crew successfully navigated this bad boy!

photo by Mike Bisignani


I have ridden part of this the trail once before with the Bogley boys and was really looking forward to flying down it this trip as my skills have greatly improved. Sadly I took a left when I should have gone right and missed the best part of the downhill. No worries I still had a blast! All I can say is this was on the list and it is STILL on the list. I think this ride will have to be a permanent must do each year or at least anytime I am in Northern Utah and the trail is rideable.

No comments:

Post a Comment